Jan Carowan

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 27 04:49:36 PST 2000

Dear Mr Carowan,

Moved as I am by your predicament, I am sure that the libertarian principle involved is not freedom of speech (which has not been abrogated here, since you are at liberty to set up your own list) but the freedom of property and contract. You surely cannot be suggesting that Mr Henwood is not at liberty to dispose of his property as he feels fit? Such a view would seem closer to the Marxist critique of the capitalist's monopoly over the means of communication than any libertarian standard. Surely all true libertarians reject the so-called 'right to reply' legislation as an insufferable interference in the rights of private property.

I could of course appeal to Mr Henwood's better nature, on the grounds that, though apparently incapable of hearing other people's arguments, you are in any event harmless, and list subscribers would be at liberty to delete your messages unread. But I feel sure that you would be unhappy to be dependent on the patronage of Mr Henwood.

Yours sincerely,

James Heartfield

In message <F17muAGHeDcoAwmdcpY00004fb6 at hotmail.com>, jan carowan <jancarowan at hotmail.com> writes