London tube closing

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Dec 28 22:33:02 PST 2000

A friend of mine told me that the tube was closed in London for three straight days from the 24th through the 26th. I found this impossible to believe, but she was so sure that I didn't feel I could question her until I double checked elsewhere. Is it really true? And if so, how do people visit their mum, never mind do their last minute shopping, which we all know is the true ritual of this pagan holiday? I thought Londoners were like New Yorkers and lots of them didn't even know how to drive. And lastly, where did such a remarkable practice come from? A last carryover from days of union strength?

Michael