gag me

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Dec 28 20:03:26 PST 2000

At 10:25 PM 12/25/00 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>kelley wrote:
>
>>i have a couple of news tracker 'spies' set up to track news on
>>"information security". for some damn reason, the latest batch i rec'd
>>sent me to the below.
>>
>>gag me with a spoon, as they used to say.
>>
>>http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2000/12/narayan.htmFrom
>>Finance and Development
>>A quarterly magazine of the IMF
>>December 2000, Volume 37, Number 4
>>

>>Poverty Is Powerlessness and Voicelessness
>> Deepa Narayan
>
>Check out the voices of the poor sections of the World Bank website
><http://www.worldbank.org/poverty/voices/index.htm>. They show the traces
>of the bourgeois liberal humanism of Stiglitz and Kanbur, but only as
>sensitivity, not as policy.

i particularly liked the latest one it turned up, one i hadn't look far enough to see because it dug back past december and i was interested at the time:

Political Economy of Stalled Reforms

Oleh Havrylyshyn and John Odling-Smee

Powerful vested interests in some of the transition countries oppose

further reform. But, even in this difficult climate, reform can and should

continue.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2000/09/havrylys.htm

>By the way, Finance & Development used to be a joint pub of the IMF &
>World Bank. A couple of years ago, the WB dropped off as sponsor. No one
>ever could explain why, not that I've researched the matter that vigorously.

about as enthused as i am about trying to figure out why "information security" as a search phrase keeps turning up tons of articles from F&D!!!!