Rape/rape offender profiles

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Tue Feb 1 16:56:18 PST 2000

Yoshie wrote:

> What's the point of this analogy between raping and eating, though? That
> both are verbs doesn't mean the actions described by them belong in the
> same category of behaviors that have the same histories (biological &
> social). Humans cannot go without eating, but men can do very well
> without
> raping. I haven't heard of a man who died because he had no person to
> rape.

This is not a good argument against rape as a product of evolution. A trait does not need to be necessary for survival to be a product of evolution. In fact, it does not even need to be helpful to the species (an appendix) and can even be harmful (wisdom teeth). As for rape, an evolutionarily-determined trait certainly does not have to be moral, either.

Seth