Rape/rape offender profiles

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:56:29 PST 2000

Seth:
> This is not a good argument against rape as a product of evolution.
>A trait does not need to be necessary for survival to be a product of
>evolution. In fact, it does not even need to be helpful to the species (an
>appendix) and can even be harmful (wisdom teeth). As for rape, an
>evolutionarily-determined trait certainly does not have to be moral, either.

I don't think feminists need to argue directly with people who think rape is a product of evolution (we should go boo them, though, if they make public appearances). In a sexist society, sexist men are bound to come up with silly explanations that help perpetuate sexism. The only effective counterpunch is not a serious counter-argument that dignifies a silly proposition, but the rebuilding of women's movement. The same goes for silly speculations regarding race & IQ, the "cause" of "homosexuality," etc. Naturalization of social categories goes with capitalism & liberalism. So, the point is to demolish the material foundations that give rise to silly ideas.

Yoshie