Self/Other or Singular (was Re: Intellects, and a bit on desire and scarcity)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 2 16:02:32 PST 2000

Angela wrote:
>Either self and other are contained
>within a version of representational dialectics, where nothing is held in
>reserve or escapes the dialectical embrace; or self and other are
>indistinguishable and hence not even the propulsion to the
>ethico-political. It's not surprising, then, that various writers (as
>various as Althusser, Derrida, Deleuze) look toward Spinoza, Nietzsche and
>others outside the dialectical traditions, and hence why the term
>'singularity' has been raised as a way of working through the
>irreducibility of other to self -- not so much, then, a problem of
>Habermas' 'generalisation of the other', but I would say a problem of the
>generalisation of self.

"Working through the irreducibility of other to self"? We are back to the Existentialist Reformation, then. Kierkegaard, Sartre, etc. Why should we stay with the Self/Other problematic (be the Other reducibile or irreducible), though? The Self/Other problematic "makes-sense" only in the world of Theology & Romantic Love, and we don't want that, do we? The irreducible Other = "God" (as in Levinas) = "Woman" (as in Derrida).