Intellects, and a bit on desire and scarcity

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 3 09:42:39 PST 2000

Kelley,

>>>hey joanna! not that i'm not completely capable of this
>>
>>--Why do you say that?
>
>irony! thought you'd appreciate the joke! heh.

Whoa, shit, I read it wrong: as "not that i'm completely capable of this" -- influence of the context -- missed a laugh.

>>Oh, but there's proud without arrogant. The (passive-)aggressive gesture
>>you describe comes with a holier-than-thou sticker on it that I haven't
>>seen in R.S. posts. Certainly anyone who wants to be what the Germans
>>would call konsequent about rejoicing in the bodiliness of humanity would
>>have to swear off arrogance.
>
>oh i don't think it has to have a sticker at all.....

Unstickered smugness, eh -- devil's work. In my innocence I thought it had to advertise itself, at least. Who's making the rules around here?

>>No but they bear close watching to make sure they don't get too chummy.
>>Hey, I hope we haven't just tossed Rob into our laundry basket.
>

>our laundry basket? OUR? come on...i've just recently managed to pass the
>bulk of the task over to the kid having had to endure a year of doing it
>myself--the ex-beau did it all before and boy i was spoiled! and now
>you're trying to impose on me ownership of and relation to laundry baskets?
> well i be damned!

Okay, how about I build it into an installation: Laundry Basket with "Who, me?" Dutchman.

>I have
>>this image of him in there with his feet in the air and his hands going,
>>"what?" and the MOST puzzled look on his face. He'd better show up soon to
>>defend himself or he'll end up in your gram's wringer...
>

>and my gram would like that. she's such a flirt that girl.

We'll have to arrange a date.

Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com