Baby, don't you call me by my name

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 17:13:58 PST 2000

<< My guess is "Manny Goldstein" is a psedonym. If you wrote a piece like

that would you want the WWP flameing you? "Emmanuel Goldstein" is a

character in 1984, isn't it? >>

The federal judge I clerk for issued an order I helped to draft dismissing a lawsuit filed by the local Libertarians trying to get her to enjoin the Cook County Sheriff's gun-buy back program. She lacked jurisdiction, power to decide the case, because the Libs alleged no other basis for the lawsuit than that the program was illegal under federal law. (It's not.) The Supremes have said, unmistakably, that you need more interest in the subject matter of a lawsuit than a citizen's interest in enforcing the law. As the judge said, if you think the law has been violated, to to the FBI.

mention this because the Libs and the gun nuts are now writing about her by name in their publications. This causes her some consternation, as you might expect.

Manny Goldstein, that's rather good. It is the name Orwell gives to his Trotsky character in 1984, the author The Book that exposes the Oceanic system.

--jks