A Drooling Response to Rob

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 2 18:21:19 PST 2000

On what grounds does Habermas claim that science cannot be an arbiter of moral disputes? Is this just a logical consequence of its being in a separate "sphere"? I doubt that science can settle all moral disputes but it certainly could settle some, and often when it cannot settle them it is because there is not sufficient scientific evidence or at least evidence that parties can agree upon. Just to give an example. Some people claim we ought not plant GM modified canola resistant to glysophate because they believe that it will result in cross-pollination of related weed species, such as wild mustard, and there will then be weeds also resistant to this non-specific herbicide. Research by Canada Agriculture gives some evidence that this will not happen but the evidence is certainly not all in. However, if a person objected to GM modified canola solely on this ground then at least in principle the issue could be solved through science. I am sure there are many moral issues of this type.

When I taught philosophy I recall a student whose sole reason for holding that there ought to be capital punishment was his belief that it was a deterrent. When his reading convinced him that it did not deter, he changed his mind. Obviously a dispute about the morality of capital punishment with this person could be solved by reference to "science" in a very broad sense. Of course this does not mean that everyone would be convinced by such facts. A Kantian would not be convinced that capital punishment ought to be abolished by "science" of this sort. However it seems beyond doubt that some moral disputes can be settled by science or at least empirical facts. I suppose someone such as Bentham would claim that in principle all such disputes could be settled by science. It would need more than stipulative definitions of spheres to show otherwise. I suppose that for Habermas much of ordinary moral disputation just involves clearing the underbrush. That does not seem helpful in understanding moral disputes. If we clear the underbrush the moral dispute often dissolves.

Cheers, Ken Hanly