needs and desires (att: Joanna)

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 2 21:33:15 PST 2000

Chuck,

>Art defined as `art' and differentiated from its embedding in just
>about everything made say from cloths and tools to buildings.

Oh, you mean "useless" art. What am I saying -- all art is useless, just like play is useless, right? Absolutely and not at all...

These
>kinds of works are usually designated as decorative arts, or just
>decoration. On the other I am not sure what art isn't decorative.

Oh, there's quite a bit of deliberately NON decorative art around, these days. (Dog shit in tins, a cow's eye pullulating with maggots -- wanna hear more?)

>So, write something about art.

Hoo-- well. I think I'll pass, though I'm charmed by the invitation. Artists mostly sound like idiots when they talk about art so I think maybe we should leave that to the people who make a living from it (art historians and critics and gallery owners).

Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com