facts, science, muck and what ought to be done [Re: A DroolingResponse to Rob]

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 4 07:16:28 PST 2000

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:48:32 -0500 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> > He even goes so far as saying that abortion might not be a moral issue

> Of course it's not a moral issue. It's a mere medical decision by a woman.
And the right to abortion will never be really established until it is broadly taken for granted that abortion raises no moral issues whatever.

I agree, it isn't a moral issue in the Habermasian sense of moral - it's a question of power. But it is a moral issue in a sense, but not for the reason Habermas gives (ie. not in the general interest). My moral interests *include* issues of the good life - We should be working toward living in a world where no pregnancy is a tragedy. So it is a moral issue insofar as morality has something to do with particular visions of a good life. But not a moral issue in terms of blind justice.

So, believe it or not, I agree with you. But I'd work with a slightly different understanding of morality - linked with enjoyment and trauma - which includes all issues that one finds meaningful. And I won't harp on this. The real issue here is power.

ken