facts, science, muck and what ought to be done

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 4 07:22:43 PST 2000

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 04:21:25 -0500 Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at tsoft.com> wrote:

> There are no moral dilemmas.

In a sense, if you think you are moral - you're eithe an angel or a demon, with no capacity to distinguish. In this sense, moral thoughts are those that do not understand themselves... morality is an imperative to "go the right thing." This imperative is nihilistic - since it calls for its own abolishment (if you do your duty, your obligation to do your duty disappears). In this sense, moral imperatives must be translated into ethical responsibility. "I will *not* do my duty because doing so would be an act of ethical suicide! So I'll cop out at the last minute and fall short of my maxim, and thereby hold myself accountable for my actions." In other words, if we don't give up on our desire, by avoiding "going all the way" - we end up in a state of radical evil - recognizing that our responsibility here has not ended, but continues - contingently.

ken