A Drooling Response to Rob

gcf at panix.com gcf at panix.com
Fri Feb 4 10:31:47 PST 2000

Singer's example is a dispute, not about morals, but about facts -- it seems that the morals are already agreed-upon. Having been engaged in some argumentation about the moral and political status of animals elsewhere, a Singer specialty, I'd say that's his _modus_operandi_, and it's pretty ineffective against hard cases (the people who don't agree with your basic principles; in my case, many).

As it happens, some people have been trying to derive morals from evolutionary facts, for example De Waal and Axelrod.

De Waal:

http://cogweb.english.ucsb.edu/Abstracts/McGrew_on_de_Waal_96.html

http://www.emory.edu/LIVING_LINKS/

http://www1.cc.emory.edu/PSYCH/Faculty/dewaal.html

Axelrod:

http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/Software/ComplexCoop.html

According to these guys, we ought to have evolved some goodness and niceness; but then one wonders where most of it is. Maybe it's the Dark Matter cosmologists are fond of.

Gordon gcf at panix.com

Ken Hanly: