Murray raves again: capitalist patriarchy hardwired!

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 08:18:09 PST 2000

<< The Churchlands' point of view is not reductive physicalism but eliminativism. A

physicalist would hold that beliefs are identical with brain processes.

Eliminativists hold that there are no beliefs. Beliefs have the same status as

gremlins, trolls, etc. There are none. >>

As I say, I am not interested in this discussion. In my dissertation I argued at tedious length that the Churchlands are not eliminativists about mental states as opposed to "folk" psychology. They like to put things in shoicking ways, but in fact their speculaution just amounts to the idea if if we got a better neuroscience we would understand more about the mental. The only real honest-to-God eliminativist whose doctrines lived up toi the promise I found in my survey of the literature as of 1989 was Stephen Stich. Gotta go now.

--jks