FW: If you can't beat'em, slur'em: ABC attacks organic food

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 6 08:59:56 PST 2000

I missed the ABC/Stossel show but I did battle with Joanne Jacobs of the San Jose Mercury News when she wrote a "booster" column on GM food. In one sentence she said organic alternatives have an 8-fold risk of bacterial infection. She gave no source but I finally tracked it to Dennis Avery and the Hudson Institute. I got hold of this 1996 CDC data on ecoli infections and put the data into Excel. When you sort for the food-borne infections and compare organic to non-organic (they mis-define organic) you could see a roughly 8 times ratio ---BUT it is highly questionable data (their definitions) AND they are extrapolating from double-digit occurrences and drawing conclusions for the US food supplies. This is the same year of the Odwala apple juice problem I believe and the pre-packaged lettuce problem. It's very bad data and very, very bad science. This is the source of the "infectious" potential of organic food. (The H. Institute defines organic as food grown in manure!

Sorry, not even close) -Steve Grube