FW: If you can't beat'em, slur'em: ABC attacks organic food

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Feb 6 15:45:51 PST 2000

Steve Grube wrote:

> I missed the ABC/Stossel show but I did battle with Joanne Jacobs
> of the San Jose Mercury News when she wrote a "booster" column
> on GM food. In one sentence she said organic alternatives have an
> 8-fold risk of bacterial infection. She gave no source but I finally
> tracked it to Dennis Avery and the Hudson Institute. I got hold of
> this 1996 CDC data on ecoli infections and put the data into Excel.
> When you sort for the food-borne infections and compare organic
> to non-organic (they mis-define organic) you could see a roughly
> 8 times ratio ---BUT it is highly questionable data (their definitions)
> AND they are extrapolating from double-digit occurrences and drawing
> conclusions for the US food supplies. This is the same year of the
> Odwala apple juice problem I believe and the pre-packaged lettuce
> problem. It's very bad data and very, very bad science. This is the
> source of the "infectious" potential of organic food.
> (The H. Institute defines organic as food grown in manure!
> Sorry, not even close) -Steve Grube

I see that the Hudson Institute has an office here in D.C.

That's too bad. Looks like the local anarchos will have to pay them a visit on May Day.

It looks like H.I. is the point think tank for the industry counteroffensive against anti-biotech activism. If you want to see how bizarre this gets, simply check out the cover article in a recent Washington City Paper on Fresh Fields. Hidden in amusing attack on the yuppie-infected Fresh Field chain was an attack on organic food. Yup, you guessed it, the writer cited sources at the Hudson Institute, as well as Michael Fumento, who is also associated with H.I.

<< Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/ ICQ# 62766441

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe