the other Kissinger on public executions

Mattcapri at aol.com Mattcapri at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 18:12:24 PST 2000

I must first advise you I have not read the responses yet. I will be brief. Marge Piercy raises the issue of capital punishment in "Woman on The Edge of Time." In the utopian society depicted in the novel, people who repeatedly commit heinous crimes and cannot be reformed by the means employed in the society are executed. The rationalization for this was that the infrastructure necessary for isolating these individuals was a greater evil than the executions. Given Kissinger's politics and China's history I am not particularly shocked that he takes a similar position on revolutionary China. mcapri