"Belfast, Maine"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:35:46 PST 2000

>[The legendary Frederick Wiseman has a new documentary on a working-class
>community in Maine that airs tonight on PBS.

Just wanted to follow up on my posting of last week to say, yes, this documentary is indeed excellent. My attention was riveted for the entire four-hour running time.

"Belfast, Maine" gives extraordinary impact and beauty to the messages that (1) life is tough, (2) work is hard, but (3) 1&2 are easier to take when people unobtrusively care for one another. One of my favorite Belfast residents is a high school English teacher who talks about Melville to his class. I thought the teacher was a bit over the top in claiming Captain Ahab to be a working-class tragic hero (he said that Ahab was a mere "fisherman from Nantucket," not royal like a classical tragic hero -- an odd characterization of a ship's master, especially since whaling captains were typically quite wealthy); however, I much admired the teacher's remarks about "The Confidence-Man" as an acid portrait of America as a society dedicated to mutual bamboozlement.

By all means see "Belfast, Maine" if you can do so.