Pacifica stringer Strike Update (fwd)

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed Feb 9 10:35:26 PST 2000

Good for you Max!

--

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------

PNN AFTRA MEMBERS WEIGH IN WITH PACIFICA MANAGEMENT, DEMOCRACY NOW REPS SUPPORT STRIKERS

Below is a series of letters that might be confusing to those not aware of the union affiliations of various Pacifica workers. Permanent workers with Pacifica National Programming are represented by AFTRA. The striking stringers are not represented by a union in terms of their relationship to Pacifica (though some belong to various unions in relation to other employment activities)

Eileen Sutton, the author of the first message is one of the strike coordinators. Over 100 scholars and academics have signed a solidarity letter in support of the strike, and are refusing to provide interviews to PNN. Max Sawicky, one of those scholars was called by PNN's AFTRA steward, Don Rush after he refused an interview. Pacifica management is using a strategy of diversion to invalidate the strike; recent press releases and statements by Management and PNN acting news director Mark Bevis have said that AFTRA is not on strike against Pacifica. This is true, but irrelevant.

Lyn

Date sent: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:41:28 -0500 From: Eileen Sutton <eileensutton at earthlink.net> Subject: David Love's Letter to J. Tasini re: AFTRA

Comrades,

Max Sawicky is with the Economic Policy Institute in WA. He refused PNN an interview the other day, then was called by AFTRA reps and given an ear-full about Dan. Below is my letter to Max, and below that, a very important letter from David Love, shop steward in NYC. Please circulate David's letter as needed.

best, e

================================

Dear Max,

I spoke briefly to Doug Henwood yesterday, who mentioned you were contacted by AFTRA. We are saddened, though not surprised, that instead of responding to the real issues, Pacifica is resorting to the worst kinds of strike-busting they can by lying, distorting facts and preying on people's unfamiliarity with the issues. The network already has a history of union-busting, so any bad behavior on management's part, in any context, is not startling.

AFTRA reps even called the now-resigned anchor of PNN and accused her of organizing the strike.

Below is a letter from the shop steward of AFTRA in New York (there are two--Don Rush in WA, and David Love in NYC). On the one hand, because we are the non-union labor within Pacifica, AFTRA is irrelevant in the larger picture to this strike. Yet because reps in Washington are trying to insert themselves into the debate, I give you David's perspective. Most importantly, Dan was not just fired. He was censored. Our letter to management was comprehensive in its demands, and in its detail of censorious acts by management. Yet, Dan Coughlin is finally not the issue. The issue is a "free-speech" network now dedicated to muzzling its own, what the Washington Post yesterday called "Soviet-style journalism."

As I said to you the other day, we welcome your solidarity, but we ultimately respect how you deal with PNN. Your being informed about this conflict is, for me, the highest priority.

best, Eileen Sutton (212) 995-1838

================================================= =============

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:14:54 -0500 Subject: <no subject> From: "Democracy Now!" <democracy at igc.org> To: jt at pipeline.com X-Priority: 3

Jonathan Tasini National Writers Union

Dear Jonathan:

I am a producer at Pacifica Radio's "Democracy Now!" program, and the AFTRA Representative of the New York bargaining unit at Pacifica National Programming.

Our unit supports the end to censorship at our network. Management's repeated censorship of Pacifica producers and independent journalists has created a troubling climate that stifles free expression and prevents legitimate news stories from being aired.

In order to restore credibility and confidence in the network, Pacifica must affirm the editorial independence of its news operations.

Further, former Pacifica News Director Dan Coughlin, an AFTRA union member with impeccable pro-labor credentials, must be reinstated. Coughlin was abruptly removed from his position without due process after running a news story on a boycott of Pacifica national programming by network affiliates.

We strongly support the endorsement of efforts to defend free speech and editorial independence at Pacifica Radio.

Sincerely,

David A. Love AFTRA Bargaining Unit Pacifica National Programming/New York

________________________ http://www.radio4all.org http://www.radio4all.org/freepacifica

Public PGP Block: http://www.radio4all.org/pgp/

- /*This message comes via the freepac list. */