Pacifica stringer Strike Update (fwd)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Feb 9 11:48:07 PST 2000

Good for you Max! -- Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

PNN AFTRA MEMBERS WEIGH IN WITH PACIFICA MANAGEMENT, DEMOCRACY NOW REPS SUPPORT STRIKERS . . .

This is not an easy call. It's not simply labor vs. mgmt. It's labor vs. labor, and even AFTRA vs. AFTRA members. I didn't know this when I got involved. And there's no way for me to be neutral-- I either do interviews or I refuse them.

AFTRA says the coalition is full of shit, and AFTRA is a legitimate trade union. Some pro-PNN people are legitimate leftists, as far as I'm concerned.

I really have no way of being sure what's going on. I don't want to boycott PNN because its programs suck (& they don't) , or might suck in the future. If that was my practice I wouldn't be able to do any press work except w/the Peoples Daily World.

I need some Solomonic wisdom here.

mbs