Why Green Party Betrayed the Party

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 9 15:45:32 PST 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 Pahtoo at aol.com wrote:

> The Greens feel that Nader (who certainly did not embrace the Green Party's
> principles (as stated in the platform) in 1996 has a shot at getting the 4%
> necessary to qualify for federal matching funds. Funds that are certain to be
> used to fund a Green Party bureaucracy or at least that's what some hope for.

You say you're a former Green, so why do you feel qualified to trash-talk Greens en masse? We're still a state-level movement, for the most part, and these decisions are made democratically (the Oregon Greens recently held a convention and voted to endorse Nader, but there were others on the ballot, including Joel Kovel, who snagged some votes). Nader ain't perfect, but he's no friend of corporate capitalism, either; Public Citizen and the PIRGs have done and continue to do sterling advocacy and activism work on a wide range of levels. But so far, all I'm hearing is this tape-recorded rant about how Comrade Nader has deviated from the one true revolutionary principle.

The Left has got to be better than its sectarian past.

-- Dennis