Remembering the Scottsboro Case (was Re: Breaking Butterflies& Poisoning Wells)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Feb 9 19:58:30 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >The same went for the Scottsboro case. The Communists took up the case
> >before others came around to it. Mark Naison writes in _Communists in
> >Harlem during the Depression_ (Urbana: U of Illinois P, 1983):
>
> Maybe one of you could explain why Mumia's cause has failed to find
> any significant black support.

I hate to suggest, economic reasons?

I live in Prince Georges County, Maryland, which has the wealthiest African American middle class in the U.S. Needless to say, I rarely see anything political being worn by anybody on my subway trips. When I've worn Free Mumia shirts I've gotten a few looks, but very few comments.

Could it be that most African Americans just aren't as political as before? What is to be made of the fact that African American "leaders" like Jesse Jackson are writing books on black entrepeneurship?

Could it be that radical politics is seen by many African Americans as an anachronism?

<< Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/ ICQ# 62766441

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe