Remembering the Scottsboro Case (was Re: Breaking Butterflies& Poisoning Wells)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Feb 9 21:16:51 PST 2000

. . . I live in Prince Georges County, Maryland, which has the wealthiest African American middle class in the U.S. Needless to say, I rarely see anything political being worn by anybody on my subway trips. When I've worn Free Mumia shirts I've gotten a few looks, but very few comments.

Could it be that most African Americans just aren't as political as before? What is to be made of the fact that African American "leaders" like Jesse Jackson are writing books on black entrepeneurship?

Could it be that radical politics is seen by many African Americans as an anachronism? << Chuck0 >>

I know a few African-Americans here. They are interested in politics in terms of actual, living breathing serious politicians, few of whom are radical. I don't think they are unpolitical. One radical guy I know owns some little shopping centers. If there was something black and radical going on he would be very interested in it, I suspect. There isn't so he follows the local pols. Maybe he's on this list using the name Charles Brown. I know people who work for the city, for the Feds. There's not much to latch onto from their standpoint. Mumia would be in a category lower than 'not much.'

I wouldn't make too much of JJ writing about entrepreneurship. Or much else, for that matter. He seems to have been running on automatic pilot for the past 15 years.

mbs