Remembering the Scottsboro Case (was Re: Breaking Butterflies& Poisoning Wells)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:40:23 PST 2000

At 12:16 AM 2/10/00 -0500, Chuck0 wrote:
>. . .
>I live in Prince Georges County, Maryland, which has the wealthiest
>African American middle class in the U.S. Needless to say, I rarely see
>anything political being worn by anybody on my subway trips. When I've
>worn Free Mumia shirts I've gotten a few looks, but very few comments.
>
>Could it be that most African Americans just aren't as political as
>before? What is to be made of the fact that African American "leaders"
>like Jesse Jackson are writing books on black entrepeneurship?

Beacuse the Mumia case is very low, if at all, on their priority list, I suppose. I live in Baltimore City, and most of my working class neighbors (mostly black) have other issues on their agenda, employment, economic development, keeping their community from crime or unwanted development, etc. and they have little in common with sect and campus crackpots populating the Mumia movement. I once tried to explain the Mumia case to my black neighbors who have never heard of it, they just shrugged and commented "well, if he killed a cop, he deserves it."

I absolutely understand them. Baltimore is one of the most lawless cities in the US. Just the last weekend we had a shooting on our parking lot, someone got killed or injured. People are really sick and tired of guns and violence. They want it to stop, and do not care much about finer points of legal procedures.

wojtek