Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 11 04:45:08 PST 2000

Doug:

>>Zizek _is_ the Third
>>Way who plays a "_marxisant_ cultural critic" for Verso, the Nation
>
>Which is why the Nation rejected his piece?

Come to think of it, didn't you say Verso had rejected "NATO AS THE LEFT HAND OF GOD?" also? Then, there are always other mags, like _Die Zeit_ (has Zizek tried Salon, Wired, Detail, Vanity Fair, etc. yet?). And no doubt we'll hear his criticism of the Third Way in his books to come. (Why are late modern philosophers so damn prolific? Philosophical speed-up & de-skilling, it must be.)

Zizek is the Third Way for those who can't swallow the Third Way without a sugarcoating of philosophical chitchats and pop cult tidbits. Because it _is_ hard for young leftists to swallow Blair, Clinton, etc. as they are -- that would be too uncool. You see, the liberal hegemony is a flexible and expansive one, and liberalism can & must sometimes renew itself with an injection of illiberal philosophy. Nietzsche, Heidegger, Lacan, etc. make liberalism look less boring. As you know, the fundamental ideological need in capitalism now is to Make It New, to sell the Same Old as if it were Now Something Totally Different. Philosophy, too, is a consumer good and treated as such. Zizek sells Alternative Philosophy (like Alternative Rock). As your friend Thomas Frank might ask, "Alternative to what?" Alternative to Yesterday's Rock, Yesterday's Philosophy, Yesterday's Politics, all packaged as fashion trends.

Look at the World Bank. They even invited Spivak to teach them how to talk about women; they had already learned to say "sustainable development."

Yoshie