Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 13:59:57 PST 2000

kelley wrote:

>Here's the thing, if the logic of enjoyment is such that Haider gets fans
>with all the publicity surrounding his denouncement, then tell me, why
>doesn't it work the other way? Why don't feminists accrue more to their
>ranks when Rush calls them feminazis? Why isn't the queer community seeing
>rising numbers of supporters/identifiers as Dr. Laura denounces them
>repeteadly?

I'm not sure you're right on the counts. Queers are certainly more visible (who knows about numerous) now than they were 10 years ago. The gender wage gap is narrower, and there are more women with "good" jobs than 10 years ago too. Rush & Dr Laura complain a lot, but they're basically losing.

But the psychology of these movements are very different. Feminists and queers want not to be despised for who they are. Skinheads and Nazis like being despised by "respectable" people - it makes them feel threatening and credible. Especially if you're a youth trying to shock your jaded elders.

Doug