Fwd: TAKE ACTION: Participate in the March 14th Day of Action!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 12 09:40:06 PST 2000

[I'm guessing James Heartfield won't be taking part!]

X-From_: swong at irn.org Fri Feb 11 20:43:25 2000 X-Sender: swong at pop3.netvista.net Mime-Version: 1.0 Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:08:54 +1000 To: swong at irn.org From: swong at irn.org (Susanne Wong) Subject: TAKE ACTION: Participate in the March 14th Day of Action!

CALL TO ACTION - MARCH 14, 2000 - Speak Out Against Dams and For Rivers!!

"We are strong, diverse, and united and our cause is just. To symbolize our growing unity, we declare that March 14th will from now on become the International Day of Action Against Dams and for Rivers, Water and Life."

- participants at the First International Meeting of People Affected by Dams in 1997 ------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

We urge you to join us on March 14th as part of the International Day of Action against Dams and for Rivers, Water and Life! For too long, dambuilders have been promoting destructive projects and ignoring the demands of people and ecosystems. We need to send a clear message to the world - No More Dams! Reparations for affected people! Yes to restoration, decommissioning and true alternatives for the 21st century! Plan an event on March 14 for the Day of Action.

More than 30 groups in 20 countries have already agreed to join together on March 14 to speak out against dams and for rivers. From Malaysia to Argentina, groups will be protesting against dams. In Brazil, activists will call for reparations and demand that institutions and dam builders are not let off the hook once a project is completed. In the US, activists will be pushing the message forward that dams do not last forever.

Let's work together to strengthen the movement. Join us on March 14 for the International Day of Action Against Dams and for Rivers, Water & Life. Please contact us if you are planning to participate. Also contact us if you need posters, brochures or ideas for possible events.

To see photos or descriptions of past events, visit our web page at www.irn.org/dayofaction.

Water for life, not for death!

Susanne Wong International Rivers Network

********************* CONTACT INFO: Susanne Wong International Rivers Network 1847 Berkeley Way Berkeley, CA 94703 USA phone: 510 848 1155 fax: 510 848 1008 email: swong at irn.org web: www.irn.org/dayofaction