Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 12 11:00:42 PST 2000

"Peter K." wrote:

> The
> question is why do such promising young intellectuals get stuck - as you put
> it - with this philosophical tradition - a question I'd take folks like
> Carrol wouldn't even find interesting.

How so? Now if by "why" you mean what psychic forces or drives propelled them, then I would not be interested simply because there would need to be a separate explanation for each case. And science (or any kind of systematic knowledge) does not consist in multiplying abstractions more or less equal in number to the entities to be explained.

But if you mean what social forces, what historical dynamics, is pushing many intellectuals (particularly young ones) further to the right, then it would seem to be a very interesting question indeed. Particularly if one's class analysis places most of those young intellectuals in the working class.

I would be interested in which specific posts of mine led to this supposition.

Carrol