Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 12 11:09:52 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>But if you mean what social forces, what historical dynamics, is pushing
>many intellectuals (particularly young ones) further to the right, then
>it would seem to be a very interesting question indeed.

You ask the question on a very high level of abstraction - "forces" and "dynamics." You seem quite hostile to any attempts to examine how actual people experience those forces in their daily lives - too subjective, too individualistic, too psychological. So how do you get from the level of forces and dynamics to the level where actual people make choices about their political philosophies and organizational affiliations?

I find it amusing to watch you & Ken Lawrence take obvious enjoyment in denouncing people who claim enjoyment has a role in politics.

Doug