Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Sat Feb 12 11:53:35 PST 2000

> Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:30:53 EST
> From: Apsken at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)
>
> > Can we expect a report from Berlet and
> > his pals on Opus Dei, and if not, why not?
>
> It's a pity John Halle can't trifle to study what others have done before
> posting provocations like this. I'd wager that almost everything he knows
> about Opus Dei is a consequence of our exposures. I can't speak for Chip, but
> CovertAction Quarterly and its predecessors, where most of my anti-repression
> research has appeared, has been the principal center for exposing Opus Dei,
> the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, and other orders of their ilk.
>
> Ken Lawrence
>

> Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:59:29 -0500
> From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan.newman at yale.edu>
> Subject: RE: Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)
>
> Because for all its faults, the Catholic Church in the US has been an active
> extremely loud opponent of anti-immigrant, anti-welfare and anti-affirmative
> action legislation and initiatives. The Catholic Archbishops and Cardinals
> out in California were some of the earliest opponents of Prop 187 and 209,
> coming out against them often long before most politicians and many other
> "progressive" organizations that often hedged their positions early on.
>
> Opes Dei promotes quite conservative politics in many areas, especially
> sexual, but they don't promote active hate like a large number of
> evangelical Protestant groups, the extreme being groups like "God Hates
> Fags" but only slightly less hatefilled groups.
>
> There is a lot to criticize about the Catholic Church, but to compare them
> to the far right hate groups strikes me as the kind of hateful
> anti-Catholicism that varies little in character to the antisemetism,
> homophobia and racism of those far right groups.

OK, I'm being attacked either for 1) not being sufficiently familiar with the information which CAQ has made available about the extreme and corrosive reactionary stands which opus dei has taken or 2) for engaging in "hate-filled anti-Catholicism" by failing to understand that opus dei is not so bad after all.

These charges are, of course, mutually exclusive.

Can we reach some consensus on what I'm being charged with and then I'll respond.

Best wishes,

John