Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

Mon Feb 14 09:00:54 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>This is why the rise of Haider (or Le Pen or Buchanan) justifiably scares
>people.

Is Haider really worse than lots of U.S. governors, state legislators, or Congresspeople? I'm asking that seriously. Pete Wilson drew the approval of the Rockford/Chronicles crowd a few years ago for suggesting that the U.S. redefine citizenship by blood rather than geography (i.e., being born here wouldn't be enough). That's pretty ugly. But it's also German citizenship law, isn't it? People born in Germany of parents born in Turkey aren't citizens, right? Is Haider that much worse than the German Christian Democrats? Again, I really mean that as a question.

CB: Yea, look at all these people in S. Carolina fighting for the right to fly the Confederate battle flag on the capital. The Confederate ideology is as fascist as Nazis ideology.

CB