productivity miracle or workhouse?

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Mon Feb 14 12:48:59 PST 2000

Doug wrote:

> The bourgeois line is that higher productivity will lead to higher
> living standards. If there were a productivity miracle underway, we
> should be enjoying a great wage boom (and a loosening of fiscal
> stringency). We're seeing higher real wages, but no boom, and
> continued fiscal strigency. Corporate profitability (in the national
> income accounts) peaked in 1996 or 1997, so there's no evidence of a
> productivity miracle there either. The major effect of the
> "productivity boom" so far has been in the ideological realm, where
> U.S.-style k'ism is enjoying great prestige.

What do you make of Robert J. Gordon's analysis of the productivity stats? He finds that all of the recent increase in prod. growth comes from the computer manufacturing sector--which makes up only 1% of the economy. The other 99% of the economy has had SLOWER productivity growth in 1996-99 than in any other period since WWII.

Seth