"new times"

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Mon Feb 14 12:37:28 PST 2000

A recent edition (the most recent edition ?) of the British Third Worldist/anti-imperialist journal _Race and Class_ celebrated the 25th anniversary of the journal and the activism/theory of its founder/editor, A. Sivanandan. The edition includes some supportive assessments of Sivanandan's scathing late 1980's critiques of "New Times" (in a nutshell Sivanandan established connections between New Times'ers status as "tenured radicals" and their advocacy of a politics of yuppie consumerism, or something like that). I know little or nothing about the precise lineages of various post-modernisms and post-Marxisms, but there seems also to be some affinities between New Times and the more "mandarin" versions of "post-colonial" theory (although I could be off here).

Somebody mentioned that Martin Jacques has changed his stripes and now offers defenses of so-called CCP "hard-liners" -- not the usual direction most opportunistic ambulance chasers on the scholarly left go these days. Any other interesting tales out there about unpredictable turns taken by proto-Third Way'ers once Third Way governments took state power ?

John Gulick