The Price of Globalization

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Mon Feb 14 12:51:41 PST 2000

><< Doug, how do you explain *those* numbers, I'm at a loss as to how to
> explain it, aside from deindustrialization and shifts to investment in
> FIRE and service sector jobs?
>
>OSHA was created in 1973. Maybe it si doing some good/ --jks

>From _The Progressive_, February 2000:

Losing Life and Limb on the Job

BY CHRISTOPHER D. COOK * At one wheel factory in Virginia, workers are losing their fingers. OSHA is not up to its task in this plant--or in thousands of others around the country.

The above article might shed some light on the job-related injury/illness stats, but you'll have to track down a "hard copy" (not available on-line). Cook is one the better left-liberal writers on worker's health and safety issues around -- written some award-winning pieces on poultry processing plants in the Midwest.

John Gulick