The Price of Globalization

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Mon Feb 14 14:34:41 PST 2000

John--One of e-mail pals from a hardhead union list that I belong to claims that down in olde Virginia they are prosecuting low level managers who falsify accident reports. I've asked him who is the attorney general of Virginia?

On the accident & work related sickness here are some things to Keep in mind:

1) The widespread use of contractors in manufacturing plants. If they get hurt or sick is it being reported and by who to whom? What about injured non-union contractor temps?

2) Who is enforcing the reporting of accidents and work related sickness in non-union manufacturing? Sure, if someone in a non-union workplace blows the whistle loud enough to OSHA---Maybe!

3) Even in union manufacturing most corporations will go out of their way to avoid reporting a lost time accident if possible.

4) If a lot of 40/50 year old's start to die after working killer overtime---is this work releated?

5) What about accident reporting by sweatshops??? Yeah, sure!!!

Tom