round the bend

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Mon Feb 14 17:25:28 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Halle wrote:
>
> >Actually, I don't totally agree that "all that hippie crap" 30 years ago
> >was all so awful. The White Album still has a lot to recommend it.
>
> I was thinking more of the Grateful Dead and most of the Woodstock
> bands, not the Beatles.

C'mon, Jefferson Airplane, Melanie (who I have a secret and inexplicable passion for) and the Dead where only a sideshow! How can you discount: Sly and the Family Stone? Hendrix? CCR? The Band? Johnny Winter? Paul Butterfield? Ten Years After? The Who? Richie Havens? They are so much greater than the mindless masturbation that takes up so many minutes of the White Album--Sharon Tate be damned or not.