Cops Etc

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Feb 15 10:08:14 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

> What do lbo list members think should be the attitude
> of leftists in respect to cops, prison guards, National
> Guard commissioned officers, etc. Should unions allow
> prison guards in their ranks? AFSCME includes prison
> guards, including those at the infamous Pontiac Prison
> in Illinois.

Well, the IWW doesn't allow cops or prison guards to be members. The verdict is still out on security guards.

The last time I was a boss, about 7 years ago as a librarian at the University of Wisconsin, one of my paraprofessionals was a shop steward for the AFSCME local. For some dumb reason, they had placed the university workers in the same local as the state prison guards. This made for strange political bedfellows and the person who I supervised complained about it all the time.

BTW, I was a good anarchist boss and told here she could spend as much time organizing as she wanted to. Of course, now that I'm in the IWW, I've adopted their philosophy about never being a boss.

There are probably some good arguments out there against allowing cops into unions, I just don't have them handy.

-- << Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe