Cops Etc

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:50:53 PST 2000

>>At 01:13 PM 2/15/00 -0500, Chuck0 wrote:
>>>Amazing! What a wonderful justification for cops! Cops are OK if only
>>>they stuck to arresting rich people.
>>>
>>>I say abolish the cops and prisons. Support the Anarchist Black Cross.

I responded:

>>And then what? Let Bubbas with shotguns deliver vigilante "justice?" How
>>is your no-law-enforcement society diffrent from lynching mobs?

Then Yoshie replied:

>Well, it's just one of those "technicalities" that you say the working
>class don't give a damn about....

You missed my point, Yoshie. I did not oppose the idea of due process. I argued that general public and legal experts have very much different concepts of "justice," and it is very arrogant to accept the latter as the only valid one, or to assume that people should follow what the experts tell them is right.

The responses I received from you & others are very typical of the egghead reaction to a critique of their intellectual authority - they hide behind principles and construe that critique as absurd and non-rational attack on the principle (e.g. that I oppose due process in general, rather than the experts' view & uses of it), so their own position looks as the embodiment of rationality. Very clever, indeed, but I've been too long in the academia to fall for this wrapping-oneself-in-the-flag-of-rationality crap.

wojtek