round the bend

Tue Feb 15 14:27:40 PST 2000

>>> "Nathan Newman" <nathan.newman at yale.edu> 02/15/00 05:08PM >>>

The whole music discussion does seem a little bizarre, comparing hit groups from the late 60s/early 70s with underground and obscure groups today. You at least have to compare hits to hits for any fair comparison.

I think there is little question that the 67-73 period had an incredibly high quality of innovative music topping the charts. Today, there is a higher level of pop dreck, but there are also great innovators, not just on the fringes, but mainstream acts like the Fugees/Lauren Hill/Wyclef stream, post-punks like Green Day, hipsters like Beck, political artists like Chumbawumba, and folk-inspired groups like the Cowboy Junkies.

CB: I like Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, The Temptations, Earth, Wind and Fire and The Jackson Five , Miles Davis et al. Toni Braxton, Erika Badu and Mary J. Blige, et al.

CB