Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends GoreEndorsement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 16 17:17:13 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>And Seattle was in many ways one of the shining results.

I just got back from a talk by Mark Malloch Brown, the new director of the UN Development Program(me), and former PR chief of the World Bank. Brown - who is a very slick fellow - said that the Washington Consensus was "completely derailed" by "Seattle." He proposed a "Third Way" of globalization - between the one that rejects the antiglobalism of NGOs (and he made it clear that Zedillo was wrong to claim in Davos that Seattle was a Northern affair - he said Southern NGOs, or CSOs [civil society organizations] as he kept calling them, were entirely on board) and the WashCon: said Third Way involved making sure that countries adopted the right policies and made the right institutional forms to insert themselves into the world economy. I suspect this will be the post-Seattle line of the bourgeoisie, since Brown is an accomplished publicist.

Doug