Clinton/Sweeney Amnesty Plan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 18 09:28:22 PST 2000

Andrew English wrote:

>I may be wrong, on this, but isn't reapportionment of congressional seats
>based on population, regardless of whether the
>residents are voting citizens?
>
>In that case, California would gain seats and other states lose them with or
>without an amnesty.

A Census Bureau demographer told me that they don't really believe people's self-reporting of their citizenship status: even people who are citizens sometimes get it wrong. So there's no such thing as a reliable citizen count.

People also over-report their voting; reported turnout is aroung 20% higher than actual.

Doug