Clinton/Sweeney Amnesty Plan

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Feb 18 13:54:11 PST 2000

> I may be wrong, on this, but isn't reapportionment of congressional seats
> based on population, regardless of whether the
> residents are voting citizens?
> -Andy English

Language of first census act (1790) referred to 'usual residence' so apportionment population has always included persons who have established residence in US.

Of course, slaves (who could hardly be said to have had a 'usual residence') were counted at 3/5th percentage until after Civil War while American Indians (whose usual residence was torn asunder) were excluded from count completely until 1940. Michael Hoover