FROP etc

Fabian Balardini balardini at angelfire.com
Fri Feb 18 14:35:57 PST 2000

Hi John,

Regarding the measurement of the technical composition of capital as opposed to the value one, the book by Shaikh and Tonak "Measuring the Wealth of Nations" is a must not only for its careful treatment but also for a review of the vast literature. Regarding your disproportionality of productivities between departments as a countervailing tendency to the FROP, this is usually considered not correct because technical change is assumed to take place across all sectors without concentrating on just one sector only. To make this point clear think of Marx's assumption of the movement of capital across sectors leading to a tendency of profit rate equalization as oppossed or being violated by the assumption of the concentration of technical change (and therefore a higher rate of profit) in one sector.

BTW, when you say good night! in Spanish do you say Buenos nachos! or Buenas noches?

Fabian