Fwd: Lennon funded terrorists and Trotskyists [Free Republic]

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Mon Feb 21 04:02:57 PST 2000

>Lots of the New Left Review people came out of the IMG. Verso editor
>Colin Robinson recalls James Heartfield's group, the RCP-GB,
>vigorously trying to poach the IMG's membership.
>
>Doug

I'm afraid Colin Robinson (whoever he is) has a bad case of recovered memory syndrome. The old RCP (no GB appended) was mercifully free of the Trotskyist approach of those days of trying to build via splits and regroupment. The only reason RCP members would ever have attended an IMG meeting was to give people a bit of experience in debating political ideas with other tendencies on the left. The IMG of those times was obsessed with entry work and faction fights in constituency Labour Parties. This approach was a million miles away from the way the RCP used to approach political work which was to try to win supporters around issues of defence of democratic rights such as anti-racist and Irish solidarity work. As regards the Labour Party: one of the organisation's first substantial pieces of popular propaganda was something called "Who needs the Labour Party?".

-Russell (no more reminiscences, I promise!)

PS: Working class heroes though we were, we unfortunately never got any money out of John Lennon.