Alienation, Etc. (was Re: FROP etc)

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Wed Feb 23 11:00:06 PST 2000

>CB: Maybe Marx is wrong, but if we are trying to discern what Marx's and
Engels' ideas were on the existence or non-existence of human nature "of any interest" , or the degree of their historicism, what about the category "production" , and as I say "labor" ? Production is universal among humans for them. And labor is the form of production that distinguishes humans from other species. How can labor not be human nature FOR MARX , even if we admit that he is a dialectician so that this nature is in unity and struggle with a historical shaping ? Such a conception is not absolute historicism. Is to labor , to produce with imagination, an idea passed on from generation to generation ?

That capitalism is opposed to human nature is revealed by the fact that labor no longer means "to produce with imagination." Capitalism attempts to remove imagination from labor as much as possible. This has proven particularly true in the 20th century with the advent of Taylorism. What we have now is a mechanistic form of labor. While this is certainly compatible with ant nature, bee nature, and termite nature, it's a warping of human nature.

I can't agree with either Ken Hanley-- that the transformation of nature through labor is at the essence of human nature-- or with Rob and Charles that the will to freedom is at the essence of humanity. Rather, what defines us is consciousness, i.e. perception of mentality. Since the mind is where judgments and decisions are made, perception of our own minds opened up the possibility of freely directing our actions, as opposed to merely following instinct. Freedom follows from consciousness, and transforming our environments follows from freedom, but they're not essential to us. That they're not essential is illustrated by early human history. What's curious about our early history is that nothing whatsoever changed in our way of life for a very long time. The prefrontal lobe was fully developed 200,000 years ago, meaning that we were consciously engaged in abstract thought at that time. Yet it took another 100,000 years before there was even the slightest sign of alteration in our interaction with nature, and it was another 40,000 years after that before we finally got around to updating our toolkit, which had been established 1.5 million years ago by our African predecessor, Homo ergaster. Talk about lazy!

>Engels and Marx are not absolute or radical historical particularists. With
respect to capitalism they say not only is bourgeois "nature" not human nature, but proletarian struggle IS human nature, given a bourgeois or other private property regime. The Revolution is natural.

>Maybe ?

Whereas the bourgeois conception of human nature is more fitting for insects, the Marxist conception follows directly from human nature. Freedom and imaginative labor are not at our essence, but they follow directly from that essence.

Ted