bull market reasoning (corrected)

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 23 13:34:47 PST 2000

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> Enrique, I noted at least the following pts (response based on a 3 minute
> conversation with a senior microprocessor engineer whom I shall not name
> since I may not have understood him properly--rushed conversation):
>
> 1. high end users already served; move to cheaper $500 computers which
> won't allow for big mark-ups henceforth--though of course there may be a
> new bout of superprofits for software vendors as pc's proliferate.
>
> 2. Intel now facing competition, though from mostly American companies (via
> excepted)/ Profit margins will be no more exceptional in the microchip
> business than the potato chip business--"the MPU business won't be worth
> competing for"! _____________________________
>
> True enough. Intel in litigation with Via now over dumping. Shows that
> catch-up has been a truly important development in the last two-three
> years. I'll need to look into this foundary/fabless design company div of
> labor.
>
> Points 1 and 2 seem however to ignore the next round of "high value added"
> product: system on a chip integration by which total chip count will be
> reduced. Should be a burgeoning market in telecom (hardware and software)
> and appliance intelligence--big future market not just internet via pc.

Perhaps. He seems to be conceding that Intel's current model (make fat profits by getting business and consumers to replace their computers with high-end, high-margin CPUs every two or three years) is gone. Systems on a chip may or may not be a replacement for that. I am skeptical - at best it means Intel will capture an increasing share of the decreasing PC cost. Appliance intelligence strikes me as a very iffy proposition: a solution in search of a problem.

The main issue remains: Intel's source of monopolistic rents, well-heeled customers who demand top-of-the-line performance that only Intel can deliver, is gone. It remains to be seen whether they can replace it.

> 3. microprocessor industry can't easily be cartelised.
>
> Been a bout of joint ventures though including across national boundaries.

Yes, but as long as there are two or more suppliers of essentially identical products at near-zero marginal costs, I don't see how cartelization can work very well.

> 4. a new broader question of my own: do any technology monopolies enjoy
> superprofits?

Can't answer that.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique