CoD (was Re: Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider))

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 23 19:58:46 PST 2000

Peter K.:

>[PS M. Pugliese, if I remember correctly, says he doens't like the marketing
>term "Generation X." Yoshie doesn't like "identity politics" or "PC." I
>f---ing hate "hip." Everytime I read/hear/see the word I want to puke. I'd
>like someone to kill it off, please. I'll put a bounty on its head - how
>about an autographed photo of Max from his polka band days? If anyone takes
>hip/hipper/hippest/hipness out of the picture, it's yours.]

Oh no, I just posted an Allen Ginsberg poem! Don't tell me you don't like it. If you dare, I'm gonna post _long_ quotations from Surrealist diatribes against racism, Eurocentrism, capitalism, etc.; and while I am at it, I might post on the Situationist International, too. The words "hip" & "hep" have their origins in criminal lingo, urban black working-class culture, & then later white boys who got "hip" to what's happening. Ginsberg, of course, was one of the coolest white boys who got "hip." On the other hand, I don't like Jack Kerouac and detest Norman Mailer.

Yoshie

P.S. As for "Generation X," the only LBO-talker who bought the term seems to be Nathan Newman. It really baffles me why he likes the Boomers versus Generation X rhetoric.

P.P.S. Polka? Play it again, Max.