CoD (was Re: Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider))

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Feb 23 16:29:28 PST 2000

Yoshie way back on Feb. 11th:
>Philosophy, too, is a consumer good and
>treated as such. Zizek sells Alternative Philosophy (like Alternative
>Rock). As your friend Thomas Frank might ask, "Alternative to what?"
>Alternative to Yesterday's Rock, Yesterday's Philosophy, Yesterday's
>Politics, all packaged as fashion trends.

http://slate.msn.com/code/BookClub/BookClub.asp?Show=02/22/2000&idMessage=46 58&idBio=147

In today's Slate's book chat, Dave Egger's new book is being discussed:

Michael Hirschorn (a founder of Powerful Media [along with Kurt Anderson and Ana Marie Cox], which this spring will launch a Web-based news, analysis, and data service for the entertainment and media businesses) writes:

"In "Hearthbreaking," Eggers comes tantalizingly close to something genuinely brave and great: a non-mawkish account of intense personal experience unmediated by generational claptrap, "commodification of dissent" voguishness, or other distractions of the moment. This is the source of the excitement about this book: It deigns to be real."

Any guesses as to what "'commodification of dissent' voguishness" means?

[PS M. Pugliese, if I remember correctly, says he doens't like the marketing term "Generation X." Yoshie doesn't like "identity politics" or "PC." I f---ing hate "hip." Everytime I read/hear/see the word I want to puke. I'd like someone to kill it off, please. I'll put a bounty on its head - how about an autographed photo of Max from his polka band days? If anyone takes hip/hipper/hippest/hipness out of the picture, it's yours.]

Peter