Allen Ginsberg, "America" (was Re: Patriotism)

Fri Feb 25 08:52:45 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> I _do_ care about my country, and I _am_ proud of many of its traditions and
> accomplishments.

CB: One approach to this question is to think of different nations and national histories based on class. There is the ruling class nation and there is the nation of the oppressed and exploited. The latter has a lot to be proud of, though not perfect. The working classes of the U.S. have worthy traditions and accomplishments, as Justin says - for one thing, all the working class struggles and victories.

CB