Robert Mundell: Genius unbound

Fri Feb 25 09:27:26 PST 2000

>>> Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> 02/25/00 11:40AM >>>
At 10:52 PM 2/24/00 -0500, Enrique wrote:
>Here's an interview given to El Pais by Robert Mundell:
>
>http://www.elpais.es/p/d/20000224/economia/mundell.htm
>
>I am speechless. The mediocrity of his thinking and the level of factual
>misinformation is shocking. I thought Nobel prizes required at least an
>appearance of minimum competence. Here are some nuggets:

-- snip

What would you expect from the theatrical farce like Nobel Prize in economics - this whole Nobel bullshit is a sham, a form of professional wrestling for the professional class - a caricature of a "good guy" winning over a caricature of a "bad guy," a lots of theatrical gestures but no actual fighting, everything being pre-determined by the rules of the genre.

CB: Right on , Wojtek. ********************

Spectacles like Nobel Prize, Oscar, Grammy or professional wresting are all manifestation of bourgeois secular religion worshiping competition that leads to the hierarchy of perfection. It is an imposition of a mythical narrative (competition leading to perfection and victory) on areas that are fundamentally non-competitive, since it is impossible to establish bona fide unambiguous criteria deciding who's "the best" in arts or science in the same way such criteria exists in sports.

In sporting events, where the contestants' place in the hierarchy of perfection is determined by their own efforts than can can be objectively measured. By contrast, in the spectacles like Nobel Prize, Oscar or Grammy, the contestants' place in the hierarchy of perfection is bestowed on them by a self-appointed cabal casting their secret votes. In other words, athletes win their 1st place by virtue of their own effort, artists and scientists by virtue of being recognised by an external authority. They are like lackays and butlers waiting for the lord's recognition of their services.

Any self-respecting scientist, artist, writer or political activist should denounce farces like Nobel Prize, Oscar etc. It has nothing to do with scientific or artistic merits - these spectacles are nothing but the recognition of mainstream conventionality and faithful upholding of the ruling class value system.

wojtek